Thursday, March 8, 2012

Dental Crisis in America?


This Saturday, March 10th, Senator Bernie Sanders is leading a Town Meeting in Montpelier, Vermont based off of something that has recently been a strong cause for him, the "dental crisis" in America. Now before you judge that this is just another alarmist cause by a Senator who looks a little bit like a mad scientist, please don't discredit him. I firmly agree with him that there is a dental crisis in America, and it might be a bit easier to see in rural states like here in Vermont, but it is effecting each state in the United States.
Just in my personal experience, I am a poor college student who has no dental insurance, yet hyper-vigilant about taking care of my teeth. I had to pay 1200 dollars out of my own pocket (reasonable) for a basic wisdom teeth surgery just a month ago, and then on a trip to a very well known affordable dental chain here in the Northeast which quoted me over 6,000 dollars for two root canals.
There is definitely a dental crisis in America. And a question I have is; Is dental part of the Obama Healthcare plan that is supposed to begin being implemented in 2013?
Dental is one of the things about health that we can SEE with other people and strangers. If your teeth aren't taken care of, how are you supposed to compete with other people for jobs or even respect in our society? It is another thing that is keeping the lower and middle classes from being able to bring themselves "up by their bootstraps."
If you are interested in attending Senator Sanders town meeting, please go to his website, all of the information is there. I believe this should be a pillar of the healthcare debate that is on everyone's radar.

No comments:

Post a Comment