Wednesday, March 7, 2012

BREAKING NEWS?

I love how grandiose titles can get on the screens of any of the 24 hour news channels. The War on Religion. The War on Women. The Year of the Woman. It's used to attract people to listen in on the debates, used to draw in people like me who keep CNN or NBC on in the background, on mute, glancing at it once and awhile. I'm often looking for the BREAKING NEWS banner at the bottom, a symptom of being a child in New York during 9/11, no doubt. But I believe thats what these banners are trying to attract, those of us alarmists who are drawn in from an enticing title. I also have an issue with how often they use the BREAKING NEWS banner, often for things that are not breaking news. Back in the day, pre-9/11, I'm pretty sure such alarmist language was used at least a bit more sparingly. Come on, give my poor heart a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment